Frequently Asked Questions
(Grid Wire Deterrent System)
1. How can we be sure that your system of poles and lines will work?
Numerous academic studies and the US Department of Agriculture recommend grids of monofilament lines or wire lines as the most effective method to prevent seagulls from landing and roosting in open areas like docks, restaurants, ponds and flat roofs. However, there is no agreement on height and spacing. We have extensive experience designing our seagull deterrent systems and testing them in hundreds of real world applications. We have never failed to get rid of seagull infestations. We know how to transform an environment where seagulls feel safe and comfortable into a location they fear and avoid.
2. Do seagulls learn over time to invade the space we’ve protected with your deterrent system?
In fact the opposite happens. Seagulls seem to teach each other to avoid the protected area. It sometimes takes a few days for seagulls to stop even trying to land if they’ve developed a strong habit or have used the area for feeding or nesting. Over time the system is increasingly effective as seagulls find more gull-friendly places to roost and defecate. Other seagull deterrent technologies such as noisemakers, fake predators or the intermittent use of real predators like falcons do not permanently end seagull invasions.
3. How long will it take to install your deterrent system?
It takes just a few minutes to install each aluminum bracket and pole, and stringing the nylon coated wire and/or nylon monofilament lines goes quickly as well. We provide just about everything you’ll need for the installation, detailed instructions and as much phone help as you want. When we design your system we are usually able to provide a labor-hours estimate for installation because we’ve fabricated so many similar deterrent systems over the years. OR we have qualified installers nationwide who we partner with. At your request we arrange the installation and include the cost in our pricing.
4. Can you cooperate on installation with our contractor or maintenance crew?
Yes. More than half our Grid Wire Seagull Deterrent Systems are installed by our customers or their designated contractor. We’ll spend as much time on the phone as needed or meet at the job site if circumstances warrant that.
5. Why can’t I just buy the lines and poles locally and do this myself?
You can. But we have a number of advantages over doing this from scratch.
- Our welded aluminum brackets are very strong, durable, non-corrosive and available only from us. We designed and fabricated them to fit different types of installations, as you’ll see when you view our SCS Grid Wire Deterrent page in the Solutions and Products section.
- Our aluminum poles fit snugly into the brackets, providing a sound structure for the wires and lines. Our nylon coated wire is almost indestructible. The nylon coated stainless steel wire is highly UV reflective, meaning gulls see it as bright blue while we humans hardly notice it at all.
- The line spacing and grid designs are field tested over many years in many different facilities and structures for the best results.
- Our product arrives ready to install. No need for cutting aluminum poles, fooling with the right fittings, finding and installing all the hardware needed.
- Because we are the designers and manufacturers, the cost to you of a deterrent system is comparable, if not less, than what you’d spend to buy and assemble all these components on your own. Not to mention the repeated trips to hardware stores for parts you didn’t know you’d need or don’t properly fit. Our value is in convenience, efficiency, durability and optimum effectiveness.
6. We have a very unusual area that has been invaded by seagulls. Can your system work with situations other than the ones you describe?
We sell our KITs for the common and smaller seagull infestations. For larger commercial and industrial seagull invasions, or unusual seagull problems, we design and custom fabricate every system we sell. We encourage you to call us and discuss your needs. Feel free to challenge us with new or unusual seagull infestations. When it comes to seagull problems, “we’ve been there done that.”
7. Are there any size restrictions?
Because our system is modular we can protect miles of docks. We have the resources to do projects of just about any size or configuration. Warehouse roofs that are acres in size are not uncommon projects for us, and we’ve designed seagull deterrent systems for huge municipal water purification plants or solid waste transfer facilities. But your backyard swimming pool or private dock is not too small for us.
8. Do your deterrent systems injure seagulls or other birds?
No. Our Grid Wire Deterrent System is very uncomfortable for seagulls, making them feel unsafe because they prefer wide open spaces as their normal habitat. Other beneficial birds, such as swallows, martins and migrating land birds easily navigate around or through the lines (bats do fine too). Remember, with any of the deterrent products we make or source from suppliers, we are not out to harm seagulls, a protected species. Our deterrent products make your property hostile to seagulls, so only their feelings are hurt, not their bodies.
9. If I need to haul a dock or use a crane on a dock, roof or other place protected with your Grid Wire Deterrent System can I take the system apart easily?
Our system can be easily disassembled, stored and reassembled. In fact these tasks will take less time than the initial installation. Recently at a US Navy facility they disassembled our seagull deterrent system in order to install solar panels. The re-installation went very smoothly and all they needed from us was more highly reflective nylon coated stainless steel wire.
10. Does your system interfere with people or impede access to any part of the protected area?
No. Our lines are strung on poles that are designed not to interfere with routine maintenance work, public access or other pedestrian uses. Custom sizes are readily available to accommodate solar panels, HVAC, cell towers and other roof structures.
11. For solar panel installations does your Grid Wire Deterrent System conduct electricity or attract lightning?
No. We fabricate poles for solar panel installations using a very hard fiberglass that is non-conductive and UV resistant.
12. Shipments to Canada
You pay the same price for our products as our domestic customers. When there is an import tariff imposed by Canadian customs it’s on a few products that are made in China. As a convenience to you, we pay any duties and we charge them back to you as part of your payment when we process your order. This speeds up customs clearance. You don’t have to pay the GST to the UPS driver when he delivers your seagull deterrent—we’ve prepaid it. UPS charges us about $40 more for customs clearance, these services and shipping within Canada, and this is reflected in your invoice as a separate charge.
Questions? Comments? Give us a call 9-5 east coast time. (347) 389-5533